Monday, March 24, 2008

Ode to my Green Drink

This last year I discovered the green drink, and now day just isn't the same when I don't start it out with my GREN DRINK. It all started when I read the book by Victoria Boutenko GREEN FOR LIFE. (click for link) Parts of this information is taken from her site.

My favorite recipe is 2-3 ripe bananas, 1 apple, 1 cup of juice; I like any flavor of Naked Juice, 2 cups of ice, and about 1 lb of spinach. Yes, I said ONE POUND of spinach. I mix this in a Vita Mix, and it is heavenly! It might look green, but it tastes like a fruit smoothie. °Ü°

I make my “GREEN DRINK” every morning, and if DH isn’t making something better like banana chocolate chip pancakes, my family will usually join me, in fact they ask for it.

1. Green drinks are very healthy. The best tasting ratio is about 60% - ripe organic fruit mixed with about 40% - organic green vegetables.

2. Green drinks are easy to digest. When blended well, all the valuable nutrients in these fruits and veggies become homogenized, or divided into such small particles that it becomes easy for the body to assimilate these nutrients; the green drink literally start to get absorbed in your mouth.

3. Green drink, as apposed to juices, are a complete food because they still have fiber.

4. Green drink taste so yummy. With a ratio of fruits to veggies as 60/40 the fruit taste dominates the flavor, yet at the same time the green vegetables balance out the sweetness of the fruit.

5. By consuming two or three cups of green drink daily (I usually drink the whole 2 quarts in one day), you will consume enough of greens for the day to nourish your body, and they will be well assimilated. Many people do not consume enough of greens, even those on a raw food diet. The molecule of chlorophyll has only one atom that makes it different from a molecule of human blood. According to teachings of Dr. Ann Wigmore, to consume chlorophyll is like receiving a healthy blood transfusion.

6. Green smoothies are perfect food for children of all ages, including babies of six or more months old when introducing new food to them after mother’s milk. Of course you have to be careful and slowly increase the amount of green drink to avoid food allergies.

7. Regular consumption of Green a drink forms a good habit of eating greens. Many people say that after a couple of weeks of drinking green drink, they started to crave and enjoy eating more greens.

8. There are many ideas for your green creations. Some of my favorite greens to add to green drink: parsley, spinach, celery, kale and romaine. My favorite fruits for green drink are: pears, peaches, nectarines, bananas, mangoes and apples. Strawberries and raspberries taste superb in green smoothies, when combined with ripe bananas. So go a head now, give it a try! °Ü°