Monday, March 9, 2009

Every hour of sleep worth 2 hours.

10:00 PM mom calls to say she has been having contx all day, but they are getting a little closer now and definitely stronger. She was a little shy of calling me because she has been through this two other times and went to sleep, but when she woke up in the morning, she was disappointed to still be pregnant. She was hoping this time was going to be different.

I was actually HOPING for a full nights sleep because I just got home from a VERY long birth out of town and was looking forward to sleeping all night in my comfy bed. My partner is still with the mom that delivered earlier today, so she was feeling even more lack of sleep than me, at least I was home, eaten, showered and in bed ready to get some sleep. My student that works with me was out of town at her midwifery school she attends two weeks every other month. I called another midwife in town, but she had the flu, so it was just going to be me on my own for this birth, which I had a feeling it would be a week or so earlier. Every now and again my Angels give me a heads up on what to be prepared for. °Ü°

2:00 AM mom calls with contx every 5 minutes and much stronger. She wants me to come over and check in, so I got up, surprisingly feeling somewhat rested. When I miss out on sleep, I ask my angels to make each hour of sleep I get be worth two hours to my body, and they definitely came through for me tonight. I dressed in a hurry, brushed my teeth and was out the door in 10 minutes.

3:00 AM mom’s contx are every 2-3 minutes, and stronger than before. She bends over with each contx and dad gives her some counter backpressure. This is their first home birth experience, so even though they had other children, it was still new to them and a lot of unknown factors, but this didn’t seem to effect mom, she was staying very relaxed and continues to move around to help baby move down through the birth canal.

I finished getting all my supplies ready, and set up my oxygen tank. I cut ginger and set it on the stove to simmer for perineum compresses. I feel the most amazing feeling in my body. I said a prayer of gratitude, as I realize I am not along at this birth, I am gently reminded that I am NEVER alone at births. I am ever so grateful for this knowledge. As I write this, I am overcome with an abundance of love and gratitude. THANK YOU!

4:00 AM I checked mom for dilation, and to her and dads surprise she was 8 cm and 100% effaced. Mom was so relieved that it probably wouldn’t be too much longer. . The other children are all sleeping quietly in their bedrooms. They are happily dreaming, and when they awake they will have a new baby brother or sister.

4:50 AM mom’s water breaks, it is clear, and I can put the delee away. A delee is a very small tube that I use when there is meconium (baby poop) in the water usually because baby is post-dates, or has been stressed at some point during this pregnancy. I put it down baby’s nostrils to suck out any meconium that baby might have aspirated. Anyway… I see amniotic fluid is clear, so I can put the delee a way.

5:00 AM mom’s contx back off to every 7-8 minutes, this often happens just before mom has the urge to push. It’s her body’s way of giving her a break to gather strength to push her baby out. Mom is SOOOooo very tiered, she doesn’t know how she has the strength to go on. She drinks a little apple juice in hopes that it will bring some energy to her exhausted body.

5:30 AM as she pushes, I can see that semi reclining on the bed, (the only way she has ever given birth in the hospital) is not the best choice for her. I encouraged her to walk to the bathroom. The combination of walking and being able to fully let go on the toilet is all that we need to bring a baby to her arms. She has one contx on the toilet, with a strong urge to push; she says, “here comes the baby”!

5:35 AM I have her scoot forward on the toilet, and put my hands there to guard her perineum to avoid a tear, and sure enough with one push, out comes baby’s head. Unfortunately, I do feel a little give in my hand as baby’s head comes out; sometimes there are no slowing things down. In the same push the rest of the baby slides right out. I lift baby up to mom’s arms, and dad grabbed a towel to dry and cover baby.

5:40 AM dad and I help mom move to the bed so I can keep an eye on her bleeding. It still amazes me how easily moms can move when there is no pain medication and they are allowed to give birth naturally on their terms. Taking as much time as needed, not rushing the process, and gently pushing as opposed to force pushing to the count of 10, three time with each contx.

7:30 AM Mom has been sutured, (yes unfortunately I had to put about three stitches in) she has been up and showered and peed, baby cleaned up, measured and weighed, dressed, and has a full belly. Everything is cleaned up, and laundry is in the washer. Mom is tucked in bed with her baby in her arms just in time for dad to open the door with three little kids waiting to see their new baby SISTER! She weighs in at 7 pounds, and is 20 inches long. Each of the kids takes a turn holding their baby sister before going off to school.

post signature